Ash Grove Academy is a Rights Respecting School. We currently have our Silver Award and are aiming for Gold accreditation in the spring term 2024. This means that we are embedding the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child within all that we do.
Being part of a Rights Respecting school results in four key areas of impact for our children – wellbeing, participation, relationships and self-esteem. Our vision is that all of our children will feel confident to express themselves and use their voice to raise awareness of injustice in the world; we want all of our children:
* to feel healthier and happier
* to feel safe
* to have better relationships
* to become active and involved in school life and the wider world
We believe that when children learn about their rights, and understand the importance of respecting the rights of others, the impact reaches beyond the school gates and has a positive effect on the whole community. Our school values - being Respectful, Caring, Curious and Co-operative - are underpinned by the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
As a school we welcome our duties under the Equality Act 2010. The general duties are to:
- eliminate discrimination.
- advance equality of opportunity.
- foster good relations.
We understand the principal of the act and the work needed to ensure that those with protected characteristics are not discriminated against and are given equality of opportunity.
A protected characteristic under the act covers the groups listed below:
- Gender reassignment
- Maternity and pregnancy
- Religion and belief
- Sexual orientation
- Marriage and civil partnership
In order to meet our general duties listed above, the law requires us to do some specific duties to demonstrate how we meet the general duties. These are to:
- publish equality information - to demonstrate compliance with the general duty across its functions. We will not publish any information that can specifically identify any child.
- prepare and publish equality objectives.
The Ash Grove Academy Equality Information and Objectives (PSED) Policy, Equality Objectives Statement and Pupil Equality, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Policy can all be found below.